- Blog # 3
One way to receive the money from Gilman after you get accepted. (Before you leave America)*Note: some of the steps might differ depending on your Bank accounts policies.
*Note: Transaction might differ depending on your country.
So when your application gets accepted, the first thing you need to do is to give yourself a pat on your back for accomplishing the scholarship! When I got accepted from Gilman the real first thing that came to my mind was if international transfer with my American bank account was possible. I am going to break this blog in to 2 Steps, the first step being “Before you leave America” and the second “After you arrive in Japan”. Here are three main reasons on why I wanted to have the option to wire/wiring (when you connect one bank account to another bank account) my account.
- Many places in Japan does not accept credit card as a paying method.
- I did not want to carry too much Cash with me during my flight there.
- I wanted to have access to the financial aid money during the stay abroad and including Gilman scholarship.
1 and 2 are straight forward so I am not going to explain but I want to explain #3. So for those of who applied to Gilman scholarship I believe that you have Pell grant as one of your financial aid. As you know the Pell grant is disbursed two times one on fall and other on spring. I had my Bank account connected to SFSU (On SF State Gateway/MySFSU) for direct deposit. I applied to 1 year plan for Study abroad program, therefore my second half of my financial aid would be deposited to my US Bank account while I am in Japan. By wiring the two bank accounts you are able to transfer money easily.
Here are the Steps that I took BEFORE I left America.( steps proceeded in 2016 around July)
My Bank Name: Bank of America (BoA).
- Communicate with the Bank. For example the minimum and maximum amount for one transaction.
Since I had online banking for BoA, I used the online chat service for my questions.
Q- Is it possible to send money to Japan?
- Yes, but need to fill out an online form with the bank you want to wire.
Q- Would the transaction cost me?
- Note yourself the required information that you need to wire your Bank account. For example Bank Address, Swift Code/BIC. (I was able to gain these information at Japan).
These are the two steps that I took in preparation to wire my US Bank account.
Funding Tips, Gilman Scholarship, Preparing for Study Abroad